When did being busy become an aspirational value for Christians?
I am not sure being busy is something to brag about, but many of us wear it as a badge of honor constantly boasting about our bloated schedules as if “thou shalt always be busy” were the 11th commandment.
Recently while thinking about my busy schedule, I typed the following five questions to myself in my iPad:
– I know you are busy, but are you PRODUCTIVE?
– I know you are busy, but are you STRATEGIC?
– I know you are busy, but are you OBEDIENT (to God)?
– I know you are busy, but are you FRUITFUL?
– I know you are busy, but are you KIND?
I was ashamed of my answers to most of these questions.
It is possible and common to be BUSY and NOT be productive, strategic, obedient, fruitful or kind.
Jesus was never too busy to listen, to serve, to rest, to pray, to eat, or to hang with kids. Sometimes I act like I’m too busy to rest, pray, listen and eat. Not good. Not good at all.
What about you – are you busy or are you productive, strategic, obedient, fruitful and kind?