In a failed attempt to “get into the Christmas spirit” I stayed home and watched a Christmas movie with my wife last night. I should say we watched part of a Christmas movie. It was so boring we just turned it off and read books. Needless to say, “Last Holiday” will never make my top 10 list.
Here’s the 2008 version of my top 10 Christmas movie list:
10. Jingle All the Way (1996) – Sinbad goes postal.
9. Die Hard (1988) – Some doubt this is a C’mas movie, but the whole thing took place during an office Christmas party.
8. A Charlie Brown Christmas
(1965) – A new addition to my list. Had not seen this one for about 30 yrs, until a few says ago while on the treadmill. Immediately jumped to the #8 spot. Saddest C’mas tree ever.
7. Elf (2003) – Opening scene with Sr Elf, Bob Newhart, reading the intro story is worth the price of the DVD. Moved from #10 to #7 this yr.
6. Home Alone (1990)- The “Wet Bandits” are some of the best bad guys ever.
5. White Christmas (1954) – I’m still dreaming.
4. The Nativity Story (2006) – I watched it for the first time 2 weeks ago while preparing for my sermon in the “Mary’s Christimas” series. It jumped from nowhere to #4 after just one viewing.
3. Christmas in Connecticut (1945) – Black and white classic that never gets old.
2. Miracle on 34th Street (1947) – another B&W classic.
1. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) – We usually save this one ’til New Year’s Eve.
What’s on your list?