Since Christmas movies have been playing all week, I thought it was time to update and post my annual Top 10 Must-See Christmas Movie List. Here’s my 2012 list:
10. The Family Man (2000) – A modern version of the best Christmas movie ever (see my #1) starring Nicolas Cage, before he got in IRS trouble and started making lousy movies. Bonus: Don Cheadle is the best angel since Clarence.
9. Joyeux Noel (2006) – Oscar-nominated true story of German, French & Scottish troops in WWI who called a ceasefire on Christmas Eve. Peace on Earth, at least for a night.
8. White Christmas (1954) – I’m dreaming of a white Christmas, Philippine style.
7. Elf (2003) – Opening scene with Sr Elf, Bob Newhart, reading the intro story about different types of elves is worth the price of the DVD.
6. Christmas in Connecticut (1945) – Black and white classic that never gets old.
5. The Nativity Story (2006) – What The Passion of the Christ is to Holy Week, this movie is to Christmas.
4. Christmas Vacation (1989) – Because every family has a Cousin Eddie.
3. Die Hard (1988) – Some doubt this is a Christmas movie, but the whole thing took place during an office Christmas party. Bonus: Hans Gruber is the best movie bad guy ever. Warning: rated R for language.
2. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) – Wish they still made them like this. Bonus: one of my all-time fav soundtracks, real Jazz (not the devilish smooth kind) on a Christmas album.
1. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) – THE Christmas classic of all Christmas classics.
PS: Every year after I post my updated list, people why A Christmas Story is not on my list. Here’s the simple answer: because it’s a terrible movie!