I landed in Manila less than 48 hours ago, and as usual I hit the ground running. Today, despite the jet lag coma, I taught six sessions at our ministry school. My students included future campus missionaries, future youth pastors and future kids ministers.
I love training and equipping next generation leaders. No matter how busy or tired I am, I always have time and energy for future leaders.
Here’s what I taught in today’s three afternoon sessions: TEN THINGS YOU MUST KNOW FOR LONG-TERM SUCCESS IN MINISTRY.
1. You must know that GOD LOVES YOU and accepts you because of who he is and what he did for you, not because of who you are and what you do for him. Otherwise you will live and die on the performance treadmill.
2. You must know that GOD CALLED YOU to do campus ministry. Once you know this is a calling and not just a job, then the option to quit is off the table.
3. You must know that GOD WILL PROVIDE for all your needs. No way around it; this is a trust (faith) issue, and he is trustworthy.
4. You must that know THE GOSPEL WORKS in all situations at all times, otherwise you will spin your wheels trying all kinds of gimmicks and flavors-of-the-month. Cool hairdos and designer jeans never transformed a life.
5. You must know HOW TO FORGIVE. More than any other job, ministry will provide countless opportunities to practice forgiveness.
6. You must know how and when to SAY NO. Rather than doing everything that can be done in the name of God, narrow the focus and you will accomplish more.
7. You must know how to ENGAGE your culture & community. This is the starting line for making disciples.
8. You must know how to ESTABLISH biblical foundations. This is the central core of making disciples.
9. You must know how to EQUIP believers to minister. This ensures that discipleship grows in quality as well as quantity.
10. You must know how to EMPOWER disciples to make disciples. This enables discipleship to multiply exponentially.
Another episode of Man vs Jet Lag continues tomorrow. Stay tuned. Bye.